- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 pheasants (2 1/2 to 3 lb each)
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur or water
- 1cup Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. In small bowl, stir butter, orange peel, salt, pepper, honey, and green onions until well mixed.
3. Place pheasants, breast sides up, in shallow roasting pan. For each pheasant, starting at the back opening, gently separate skin from breast, using fingers. Spread butter mixture on pheasant breast under skin. Secure skin to flesh with toothpick if necessary. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh muscle and does not touch bone.
4. Bake uncovered about 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 180°F and legs move easily when lifted or twisted. Remove pheasants to serving platter; cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
5. Pour orange liqueur and broth into roasting pan, scraping up browned bits from pan; pour mixture into 1-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; boil about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Serve sauce with pheasants.
Recipe courtesy of bettyrcrocker.com