Whether it’s cheese, pepperoni, vegetarian or something in between, Americans just love pizza. So to celebrate “National Pizza Day,” I’m going to share a quick recipe that my friends and family always enjoy. It’s quick and easy to make, plus the BBQ pizza sauce and pheasant taste so delicious together. But if you don’t have any pheasant, you can always substitute duck, goose, or even venison. Bon Appétit!
Pioneer Woman’s Pizza Dough
- 1 scant tsp. active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- Breasts of 1 pheasant
- Quarter of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce, divided
- 10 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pasta/pizza sauce
- 4-5 green onions, white and light green parts chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp. of yeast and 3/4 cup of warm water. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, 3/4 tsp. of kosher salt and the yeast/water mixture.
3. Mix the dough while slowly pouring in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. If doing by hand, it helps to have an extra set to help. If you have an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment on low
4. Stop mixing when everything comes together. Lightly grease the same bowl with olive oil, replace the dough, cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for at least 1 hour. You can do this several days in advance.
1. While dough rests, prepare the toppings.
2. Place pheasant breasts into a small container. Lightly sprinkle salt on all sides. Then squirt some bbq sauce to coat all over.
Prepare The Grill/Skillet
1. To make the pizza sauce, combine 1/4 cup of bbq sauce and 1/4 cup of pizza/pasta sauce.
2. Slice fresh mozzarella thinly. Set aside.
3. Chop white and light green parts of green onion.
4. Heat 1 tbs. of olive oil in a pan. Saute sliced red onion for about 5- to 7 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir often.
5. Once grill/skillet is ready, cook pheasant breasts for about 5 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
6. Baste with the rest of the bbq sauce.
7. Slice/chop breasts into small pieces.
8. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
9. Flatten dough out on a cookie sheet.
10. Lightly sprinkle some salt over flattened dough. Then spread bbq/pizza sauce mixture over it.
11. Top pizza with sliced mozzarella cheese. You can add as much cheese as you want.
12. The pheasant comes next. And also the sauteed red onion and chopped green onion. Drizzle leftover bbq/pizza sauce mixture over the top of pizza.
13. Bake in a 500-degree F oven on the lowest rack for about 12- to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust turns golden brown.
14. Garnish with chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes.