- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 egg
- 2 pounds catfish nuggets, skin removed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat to 375°F.
2. In shallow dish, stir together flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper. In another shallow dish, beat egg with fork until foamy.
3. Sprinkle catfish nuggets with salt and lemon juice. Dip each nugget into beaten egg, then roll in flour mixture to coat. Drop 4- to 6 nuggets at a time into hot oil. Cook 2 minutes; turn and cook 1 minute longer or until deep golden brown. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels.
Tips: If you can’t find catfish nuggets at your supermarket, you can purchase 2 pounds of catfish fillets and cut them into about 2-inch pieces.
A staple in Georgia and Mississippi, fried catfish morsels are dynamite dunked in tangy tartar sauce and served with coleslaw and baked bean.
Recipe courtesy of bettycrocker.com.