- 4 duck leg and thigh portions
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 tablespoon allspice berries roughly ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Enough duck fat to cover the legs
1. Mix together the salt and spices and rub the duck legs with this mixture. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Rinse all the salt mixture off the legs and dry completely.
3. Place the legs in a heavy oven-proof pot and cover with duck or goose fat.
4. Place in the oven at 200 degrees for 5- to 6 hours, you will know when the legs are done when the meat and skin have pulled away from the knuckle on the leg bone.
5. If you are going to store your confi,t you can place then in a Ziploc freezer bag with some of the rendered fat and put in the freezer. Or you can pack them into a container and cover with remaining rendered fat.
6. When you are ready to use the legs, preheat the oven to 425 and then roast the legs for 10- to 15 minutes until the skin get crispy.
Recipe courtesy of Jamie Carlson and his “You Have to Cook it Right” blog.