1. Do not transport children under 1 year or over 40 pounds in a bicycle-mounted child seat
2. The passenger always should wear a crash-tested helmet when transported in a bicycle-mounted child seat.
3. The passenger always should be belted into the child seat.
4. The child seat should include spoke protectors for the child’s feet.
5. The child seat should be mounted on the rear wheel.
6. The back of the seat should be high enough to provide adequate head support for the child.
7. The seat should be installed at a bicycle shop by an experienced person.
8. Always lean the bicycle against a wall for stability when the rider or the child mounts or dismounts.
9. Recognize that, when transporting a child in a child seat, bicycles require a longer braking distance, are less maneuverable, and are prone to swerve when the child moves suddenly.
10. Never leave a child unattended in a bicycle-mounted child seat.